Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Cold Hard Mom

Sometimes, in desperation for a guiding principle in my life, I'll seize upon rock or rap lyrics and decide that I should take them to heart.
It doesn't matter if the song is good or inane, like "Beautiful'' by Christina Aguilerra, which sounds fabulous, but has dumb lyrics.
I don't care, because whenever I hear "Beautiful'', I fervently tell myself, "I AM beautiful, no matter what they say. Words CAN'T bring me down!!!''
I get the same feeling from "Damn, it Feels Good to be a Gangsta'' by Scarface. I'm inspired by the lyrics: "Real gangsta-ass niggas don't run for shit, cuz real gangsta ass niggas can't run fast.'' (In real life, if I mentioned the song at all, I'd pronounce it "gangster'' since I wince to hear myself dropping "rs'' in an attempt to sound ghetto).
As far as I'm concerned, "Damn, it Feels Good to be a Gangsta'' is confirmation that I should stop trying so hard to please people.
So is "Cold Hard Bitch.'' Judging from the video, cold hard bitchiness means little more than ignoring Jet, horny rockers who want to fuck the sexy pouting blonde bartender.
In my life, there are no horny rockers (if there were, I'd invite them in for a beer instead of ignoring them) but I could still learn something from their song.
When neighborhood moms forbid their kindergartners from saying the word "stupid,'' which is also banned in school and is now regarded by my daughter as profanity, a cold hard bitch would protest.
She'd proudly announce, "Our daughter is allowed to use the 'stupid' as long as she doesn't apply it to people. In our household, fictional characters, especially scary ones, and inanimate objects may all be called, "stupid.'' In fact, her father and I say "stupid'' all the time.''
But I am not a cold hard bitch.
The most I can realistically aspire to be is a firm and occasionally frosty so-and-so.
It's hard to get good lyrics out of that. But its still worth a worthy goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home